Monday, January 14, 2008

Back To The Future!!

All of this "new" technology is so much fun, but boy is it time consuming!...But I have found an interesting difference in learning styles. I have seen, worked on and participated with many of the items that have been set forth in this learning 2.0 process...and while I can appreciate the orderliness of it all, the things that I have already been working with for well over a year or two in the past, such as Library Thing, blog spot, wiki, podcasting, etc...I find it rather difficult to go over the exercises and "re-talk" about these items? I stumbled across many of these items due to the forums that I lurk about on and when something "new" is discovered...I try it out, and see if it is something that can fit into my time frame of a useful application, and wonder "how will this make my life and work easier?".

SO, for all you folks out there discussing how "none of this will help me" to "I don't have the time"...consider that I have been stumbling across many of these items in my own way for a number of years, and it would have been nice to have had it all set down before me in a nice, neatly ordered structured environment. True, we are not going to need all of these items in our everyday lives, but as information professionals, I think that our job is not just 'readers-advisory'...it is also as a 'web-advisor'...Because our patrons have little or no experience in dealing with these applications and might not know that they are even out there, in much the same way that we introduce them to a new author or a new series, it is our responsibility to introduce our patrons to new applications that will make their experience at the library and even better one...

No comments: