Monday, November 5, 2007

new day, new technology

It's been a long time since I unwrapped my little Sinclair microcomputer. Hooked up the keyboard and the CRT, plugged in the cassette player and started typing in my first lines of code, so that I could enter in my information. It was an amazing day for me.

My only problem is that I am technologically hindered when it comes to FIXING things, be it mechanical or electronic. When everything works, it's wonderful, and when one little byte goes awry, then all this is good for is a very expensive paperweight.

But the advances in computers have been phenomenal. From the Sinclair, the TRS-80 (so lovingly referred to as a Trash-80) to the Austin 286/12x...Imagine that...286 kB and a blindingly fast 12MhX processor speed. It boggles the mind!

But I try to keep on the advancing line of technology. Not because I want to be cool, or know the latest buzzwords at the afterwork parties, but because I love technological innovation and learning how to utilize them into my professional and personal life!

Now I have a wireless PDA, web ready at a heartbeat, check my mail on-the-fly. Looking for wireless hotspots, posting on facebook and myspace. The list goes ever on!

In fact, out library has started using IM (Instant Messenger) Reference services for our patrons. Yes sir, times have certainly changed!!

No comments: